Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fibonacci flora



Hello! I'm in the process of upcycling a stack of old men's t-shirts (thanks dad!)I deconstructed and reconstructed my first of them using an existing shirt, that I like the fit of, as a template (sorry for no tutorial : P ) Between opportunities to work on it I'm taking care of my 2 little ones, but I find those little breaks are great for inspiration to come in! No doubt if you follow craft blogs you have seen many "how to's" for fabric flowers, I have! BUT I have not seen one with this technique that came to me along with my favorite flower dooodle I have been doing the last year or so when coloring with my Katie bug : )

This technique uses the Fibonacci sequence. I absolutely love natures patterns and love math (im a nerd, lol). If you are unfamiliar with it, you're missing out if you dont look into it!

Below I made my plan for the petals. I used a water eraseable fabric pen. If you want to use a longer piece of fabric to have one continuous piece it's minutely easier. I used the scraps I had and found it made no difference to add the extra petal piece using the width available. It isn't important for it to be perfect but you do want the petals in the right amounts to be close in shape, and you want to progress in size : ) 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and 13 petals... if you want to go on to 21, or beyond, go for it!!!! : D




my first few petals i weaved the needle through in a simple stitch


i pulled through and went back with the needle making a loop of thread through the first few petals


then i flipped it over and began to work from the back pleating the fabric and spiraling around the base made by the start


here you see the backside completed. i personally think the back is just as pretty as the front but a daisy like flower wasnt what i was going for


the one on the left is completed with some seed beeds sewn for some dazzle : P it is after washing and drying as well. on the right you see a flower that went to 8 instead of to the 13. i also made the cuts between the petals deeper. I'm showing it here before washing because i actually liked how the ink outline looked and wanted to show you in case you would want to use permanent marker and have an outline : ) this way you could see that possibility before creating your own.



And voila! i made a smaller one going to 5 petals of equal size and sewed them to my 'new, old' shirt!


in case you wanted to see the whole upcycled shirt:


: ) i have a favorite shirt right now

No comments:

Post a Comment